Dominic Ongwen at the International Criminal Court
0

Dominic Ongwen trial week of 28 September - 2 October 2017

6 October 2017 - 18:10

Military Lawyer Says Uganda Gave ICC Evidence on 15 LRA Commanders

28 September 2017

 
One of Uganda’s top military lawyers told the International Criminal Court (ICC) that the evidence Uganda’s intelligence agencies gave to the court went beyond information on just Dominic Ongwen and involved about 15 commanders of the Lord’s Resistance Army.
 
Lieutenant Colonel Timothy Nabaasa Kanyogonya told the court on Monday that he acted as a liaison between the Ugandan military, civilian intelligence agencies, and the ICC. He said he did this as the director of legal services at the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence, a position he said he has held since May 2004, but with some interruptions.
 
Kanyogonya was testifying in the trial of Ongwen, who has been charged with 70 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity for his alleged role in attacks on camps for internally displaced people. The attacks happened in northern Uganda and took place between 2003 and 2004. Ongwen has pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him.
 
On Monday, Kanyogonya, who testified via video link, explained the structures the Ugandan government put in place to receive and act on requests from the ICC. He also explained how he determined what evidence to pass on to the ICC.
 
He said most ICC requests were sent through the Ministry of Justice and the Attorney General. He said in some cases those requests were sent to him directly.

Ugandan Army Officer Says He was Unaware of LRA Warning About Pajule Attack

2 October 2017

 
The Ugandan army commander responsible for protecting the Pajule camp for internally displaced people told the International Criminal Court (ICC) he was not aware the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) warned of an attack months before the group hit the camp.
 
On September 28, John Lubwama told the court that he did not know about a letter the LRA sent warning of another attack on Pajule after the camp had been attacked in January 2003. Lubwama also said he did not hear reports of an impending attack from either residents of Pajule or abductees who had escaped the LRA.
 
Lubwama commanded a unit made of Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) soldiers and militiamen that was responsible for protecting Pajule when it was attacked on October 10, 2003. Dominic Ongwen has been charged with 10 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity for his alleged role in that attack on Pajule. In total, he has been charged with 70 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
 
On Thursday, Lubwama told the court that he had 650 men under his command, most of them Local Defence Unit (LDU) members. Lubwama said there were 25 UPDF soldiers in the unit he commanded and that the LDU made up the rest of the unit. He said 150 of the men were stationed at Pajule when it was attacked on October 10, 2003.

Share your thoughts

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.